You are hereHome >
Easy Tips to Save Energy in Your Home
Energy efficiency is one of the easiest ways to lower your energy consumption as well as your monthly bills, and make your home more comfortable and weatherproof. We’ve put together this fact sheet to help consumers start saving money now!
- Turn the lights off. A single 100-watt incandescent bulb uses $1.65 worth of electricity each month. If you leave many lights on for long periods of time, thecost adds up quickly.
- Replace incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescents (CFLs). CFLs normally last about 10 times longer and can save you $45 in purchase and operating costs over the bulb’s lifetime.
- Electric baseboard heaters can be easily turned off or turned down in rooms where heat is not needed.
- When doing laundry, if you switch to cold water and wash one load a day, you could save about $16 each month.
- The fan in a large oil furnace fan can easily consume $50 of electricity in a month if running 24/7. Switch the fan to the “Auto” setting and significantly reduce this amount.
For more tips, read the guide!
Resource file downloadDownload the report
Tools & Resources
DEFEND THE CFPB
Tell your representative to oppose the “Financial CHOICE Act,” which would gut Wall Street reforms and destroy the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau as we know it.
Your donation supports Maryland PIRG's work to stand up for consumers on the issues that matter, especially when powerful interests are blocking progress.